[geeklog-devel] Perception is everything...

Jason Hackwith jason at firewindproductions.com
Wed Apr 9 16:20:54 EDT 2008

I'll emerge from lurking here and say that I completely agree with
Mark.  If the goal is to change the perception that the Geeklog project
is dead, the answer may not necessarily be to find a new central brand
name to orient upon. Speaking from a branding perspective, changing the
word "Geeklog" to something else probably will not accomplish a
perceptual change.

Geeklog is, of course, primarily an application development framework.
It's much more than that, though... you can say that PHP itself is an
application development framework.  To me, Geeklog as a brand implies
ability, intelligence, flexibility, scalability, smart solutions.  It's
the CMS (or application framework) that doesn't dumb it down...
something that certainly appeals to me.

What I'm trying to say is that "Geek" is a positive identity that can
not only imply that it's for developers who aren't afraid to get their
hands a little dirty, but also that Geeklog itself is smart enough to
handle just about any task thrown at it.  I think Geeklog really does
fit the larger geek subculture, a positively growing demographic that
companies are already tapping.  There's a great article about the geek
subculture here:
http://www.gibberish.com/gazebo/articles/geek31.html

I've been a graphic artist/designer for fourteen years, and have been
building websites for twelve of those years.  In that time, I've seen a
lot of open source projects come and go.  One of the things that drew me
to Geeklog in the first place -- and has kept me using Geeklog today --
is how intelligently it is organized.  When I was testing/auditing
content management systems five years ago, Geeklog stood apart from the
rest because it allowed me to use it as a framework for just about
anything without compromising security.  Geeklog is smart enough to
handle everything behind the scenes of establishing a dynamic,
content-driven website -- and flexible enough to morph into any kind of
website.  No matter what content my clients have for their website,
Geeklog is scalable enough to handle it.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here.  The big disconnect between
perception and reality really does exist. It probably results from both
a lack of information, and a lack of easy access to that information.
What I'm suggesting is this: if you really want to change perception,
you need an organized marketing campaign that deliberately communicates
the strengths of Geeklog.  In other words, Geeklog evangelism.

A good starting place is, of course, Geeklog.net.  A few suggestions to
consider:

1. CLARITY/FOCUS. The homepage for Geeklog.net right now unfortunately
suffers from a huge amount of noise.  There's just too much extraneous
information bombarding visitors for them to get a real handle on what
Geeklog is all about.  Right now, the Professional theme for Geeklog.net
just screams "Portal" -- which is one of the things Geeklog can be, but
you don't have to look like a portal to be an effective one.  The
unfortunate thing is that important information often gets lost in the din.
2. NAVIGATION.  Right now, it's too hard to find answers on the site
because almost everything is just plopped on the home page.  Some time
developing and clarifying the site navigation would make a big
difference.  An entire section devoted to Geeklog evangelism (why
Geeklog, what you can use Geeklog for, a showcase of great Geeklog
sites, the top ten best features of Geeklog, etc.).
3. ACTIVITY. The antithesis of death is life, so the homepage for
Geeklog.net could primarily showcase life; the areas in which there is
constant, daily activity.  Of course this would include the support
forums, but also perhaps a rotating feature showcasing a featured
Geeklog site, a particularly great suggestion, plugin, hack, block, etc.
4. COMMUNITY. Geeklog is of course an online community of developers.
Organize the community areas like the forums, support, user functions,
etc. into a separate area accessible by central navigation.

(Canonical is especially good at this.  Ubuntu.com is excellently
designed and information is easy to find, whether you're just looking
for basic information or a particularly detailed hack.)

I'm excited that this discussion is taking place and eager to hear what
you all think.
Jason Hackwith