[geeklog-devel] Perception is everything...

Eric Warren eakwarren at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 00:40:20 EDT 2008

> Are there not members of the community that can offer their time and
> experience to setup the needed applications?
>
> Blaine

It doesn't seem like it, accoring to Dirk in
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=3&showtopic=81868.

"
"Quote by: geiss

I am aware of the "history" there, and while it is a shame Oliver chose to
leave, I can't help but wonder why anyone else hasn't been offered the
ability to "step up" so to speak."

To be perfectly honest, I don't see any obvious candidates right now.
"

To be frank, the core team has always been a pretty closed group. Sometimes
that's been beneficial, other times it's been detrimental. People have
repeatedly come along that are willing to help out in one capacity or
another, but the doors to get things done have been hard to open at times. I
doubt anyone is asking for a golden key to everything, but it might help
relieve stress and pressure on the core team, to delegate certain aspects of
developing an open-source CMS. For instance, the whole site re-design you
guys are mulling over, why not invite a few active community members to be
in charge of it?

>From my reply to Dirk above in
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=3&showtopic=81868,

"
That might currently be the case, and there is nothing wrong with that. But
I have two thoughts:

1- At the hospital where I work, we've had a position open for almost 2
years because the job requirements and education are so stringent. There are
only a handful of qualified people in the entire country that could fill the
position as currently defined, and because of it, that particular program at
the hospital is stagnating. The point is, if you are looking for someone who
can for example develop code, write documentation, theme, troubleshoot, has
a personality that meshes well with the existing group, has the available
time, and has the interest, you probably will never find the right
candidate. Wink

2- Using my example from work above, perhaps a smaller set of criteria can
be identified, and make several smaller positions available and delegate
some responsibility. Then, instead of one "core dev" group, the community
could start to form smaller, more focused groups that all work in tandem
toward the goals of the Geeklog project. Some brainstormed groups could
include: Core code developers, plugin developers, theme developers,
documentation groups, a team to manage the main website and possible
subsites...etc.

Overall, I'm not suggesting one redesign the wheel, but maybe add 3 other
wheels, an axle, and a body, and together we can drive around and impress
all our friends!
"
Thoughts?

Eric