[geeklog-devel] Upgrade CVS to a distributed repository

Trinity trinity93 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:18:45 EDT 2008

In my opinion K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) is the way to go. Changeing
over to any other system has severial issues to it.

1. Learning curve: Learning the ins and outs of a new system takes time and
effort. this takes away from working on geeklog

2. End user client support and availability: Are there good reliable clients
for each platform generically used? Is end user support gonna be a
nightmare?

3. Setting up the new system to begin with and maintaining it: Installation,
locating resources,  and maintaining the system takes time. Who is gona do
it?

4. Versioning system reliability (bugs in the versioning system): Is the
system reliable, well tested and secure? How do we determine that?

5. What do we really gain from doing this, and what do we loose?

To be honest I some times wish CVS did more, but when i look at other
solutions i see bloat and complicated untested features that only work in
crude command line only fashion with very little  or poorly writen
documentation. SVN looks promising as a replacement option due to its
similarity to CVS  and  uptake by the community at large.

I think this conversation shouldn't be taken further right now. 1.5 needs to
get out into the publics hands first. ;-)

-Trinity