[geeklog-devel] WebDAV

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sat Feb 23 15:33:01 EST 2008

Blaine Lang wrote:

>One of the use cases I wanted to see WebDAV used for was:
> > An intranet use, where a user can save documents to the GL Filemgmt
>plugin (or other FM plugin) and open it later in WORD as an example.

Right, seems I misjudged the overlap somewhat. WebDAV is mainly dealing
with files, while Atompub is mainly aimed at the site's content.

>How would Atom be used to upload a file?

You can upload any sort of file through Atompub. Which is why I want to
see upload of story images implemented in Atompub[1].

>what would the client be?

Yeah, clients are rare[2] for Atompub at the moment.

>Can Atom get around the POST limit of uploading files or make that
>process of uploading large files better as in provide better progress
>indication?

No, I don't think so.

Okay, so my argument doesn't hold up. I'll admit I didn't really see
much use for it last time around but maybe it's just not used in areas
I'm familiar with.

Anyway, let's leave it in then.

Btw, I see we had only one application for the WebDAV project last year
and you gave it a -2 ;-)

bye, Dirk

[1] <http://wiki.geeklog.net/wiki/index.php/SoC_webservices_revisited>
[2] <http://wiki.geeklog.net/wiki/index.php/Using_the_Webservices#Clients>