[geeklog-devel] WebDAV

Blaine Lang devel at portalparts.com
Sun Feb 24 15:37:20 EST 2008

Mark Howard wrote:
> WebDAV is kewl, however for code authoring/maintenance needs, I find that I
> can accomplish nearly the same level of functionality simply by utilizing
> the usually-available sftpd, along with the workstation client
> implementation such as WebDrive [www.webdrive.com] or SFTPDrive
> [www.sftpdrive.com] in the Windows space, or sshfs (fuse-based)
> [http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html] in the Linux space to directly
> access my hosting account folder tree.
That may be fine for geeks but try and see if Betty Boop in accounting
that wants to update a document maintained on the Intranet file
repository (Geeklog) would have any idea what that means. A user just
wants to open the file in the default application (have it lock the file
automatically) and save it - updating the remote file automatically. MS
Office and other apps automatically support WebDAV and it's a protocol
thats gaining in popularity after 10years+.