[geeklog-devel] Performance

Marco Belmonte marco at heavenlysanctuary.com
Fri Jan 18 17:20:45 EST 2008

Hi Devs,

I thought some of you may be interested in the following thread that I
started over on glLabs concerning some of the issues that I was having with
Geeklog performance. Because I'm not a programmer I couldn't do much to
tweak the code so I took it upon myself to start doing everything a
non-programmer/typical sysadmin could do to help enhance Geeklog
performance. The thread outlines in detail our hardware setup consisting of
three servers, all of the software involved and the configuration of that
software and of course the benchmark results as each new discovery was
implemented. The thread is still a work in process and I haven't finished,
but it's easily far along enough now that it may be helpful for the
developers of GL to use as a way to rule where enhancements to the code may
be beneficial as opposed to user configuration problems.

As a side note, for those who may not have the time to read through 15 or so
pages, I was able to boost Geeklog performance by almost 100% so far. The
only software modification that I made with the help of Joe Mucchiello was
GL's template system. Joe's caching template mod was responsible for almost
50% of the 100% increase.

I really appreciate all the work you developers have done to make GL what it
is. I look forward to all of the great stuff you all haven't even thought
about yet! :-)

Warmly,

- Marco Belmonte

PS: Uh, maybe I should post the link: