[geeklog-devel] comment moderation queue and hierarchical data

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Thu Jul 10 16:18:47 EDT 2008

Jared Wenerd wrote:

>The ID of the parent comment is stored in the submission table. When
>resubmitting these queued comments back into the comment table there can be
>many different scenarios of some comments being approved, deleted, or no
>action (just remain in the queue).

Here's a few thoughts:

The comment id is auto_increment, so it won't be reused. You could store
the original comment's id in a separate field in the submission queue.

Doesn't help when the comment's parent has since been deleted, though.

Alternatively: Don't use a table for comment submissions but only mark
the comments as being in moderation. That should solve the problems, but
may require changes in the moderation API (which are only acceptable if
they don't break existing code).

And finally: A mixture of the two. That would result in some comments
being stored twice (temporarily). But if it helps and the "duplicates"
are resolved properly and reliably - why not.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

bye, Dirk

P.S. I think it's great that you're keeping us up to date on your
progress and problems. I only wish I had more time to actually look at it ...

--
http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/