[geeklog-devel] Interesting reading ...

Blaine Lang devel at portalparts.com
Sun Jun 1 22:47:23 EDT 2008

Likely Yahoo would not allow Google to host the YUI libraries albeit
Yahoo has a very liberal licensing strategy but it still may be
political as to why Google did not announce with YUI support from the
outset. I have been using the YUI libraries on projects for the past 2
years and it's a very impressive library that is growing every few
months. I'd like to see Google host the EXT library as we use that on
projects and my latest plugin that used EXT extensively was a bit of a
hog initially loading 1Meg of JS.

Some of the other libraries have neat features specially jquery but one
has to be careful loading too many of these libraries and I've been very
pleased with the decision to use YUI. It's also beneficial that YUI has
compressed min versions of their libraries and hosting on their CDN
really can reduce any noticeable initial load. Additionally, they have a
feature to load libraries on page load so their is even less or no
initial page render delay.

Blaine