[geeklog-devel] GSoC - Comments - Edit - Permissions

Michael Jervis mjervis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 07:57:54 EDT 2008

> Why not use the topic perms as the test if a member can edit/delete the
> comments?

For administrative edit of users comments, that might be good, but,
what if you want to have "Moderators" who can only edit comments. So
if you have a big site, with editors/authors writing the main posts,
but community moderators editing/deleting the dodgy comments out?

> I would think that we would not need a comment admin and a topic admin.
> If comments are not in a topic,then they are part of a plugin which we call
> a PLG_checkCommentAdminRights() where the plugin author can have basic perm
> tests or more complex as need.

Yes, would need to implement that either way, because you might not
want comment.edit to apply globally to comments in plugins.

> Then you don't need to store gorup perms per comment - just
> comment_owner_uid

But to allow a user to edit their comment, don't you also need
comment_owner_perm so that you can have a system that allows users to
edit their comments and one that doesn't. And if you have "comment
aging" on the editability (i.e. you can edit for the first 20 minutes)
it that perm can be expired by time also?

Mike