[geeklog-devel] GSoC - Comments - Edit - Permissions

Blaine Lang devel at portalparts.com
Thu Jun 5 09:33:04 EDT 2008

Michael Jervis wrote:

> For administrative edit of users comments, that might be good, but,
what if you want to have "Moderators" who can only edit comments. So
if you have a big site, with editors/authors writing the main posts,
but community moderators editing/deleting the dodgy comments out?

Do we need that?
Maybe we need to look at what if storyEditor was a plugin. I would
probably add a comment moderator right to a topic. So topics could be
extended to have comment moderator permission. Atleast this way we don't
need to be checking or storing perms for each comment record.

> But to allow a user to edit their comment, don't you also need
comment_owner_perm so that you can have a system that allows users to
edit their comments and one that doesn't. And if you have "comment
aging" on the editability (i.e. you can edit for the first 20 minutes)
it that perm can be expired by time also?

I think we were saying the same think. Just need to store comment owner UID and if the owner and within the allowable edit window then the edit/delete link appears. The forum does that now for example.

Blaine