[geeklog-devel] The road ahead - post 1.5.0

Blaine Lang devel at portalparts.com
Sun Jun 22 18:30:27 EDT 2008

Since this next couple months have the core dev's pretty busy with SOC,
I agree that we can't take on too much net new and therefore, your idea
of focusing on bugs that don't require any major code changes makes sense.

We also should open up the floor to new ideas for post 1.5.1 (assuming
thats a minor release).

Last years SOC GL config manager was focused on moving the GL config to
be table driven and our initial online config manager needs to be
improved as it was not the focus of the initial project. While the
online config manager is usable it's not as intuitive as it needs to be.
We had hoped to make that a SOC project for this year but we did not
have enough mentors and suitable students that wanted that project.

Additionally items that I would like to raise for post 1.5 are:
- SESSIONS support
- Improved Core filtering class to better handle filtering hostile data,
html filtering, censoring and handling the various modes program need:
   > Filtering for re-presentation to application
   > Filtering for DB insert/update
   > Filering for AJAX server-side use which can include DB + formated
Web presentation
- Fresh new theme/look ( I believe we had a nice offer a few months ago
and hope offer is still available)
- Review CTL for inclusion,  as Vinny noted and has my vote as well
- I also would like to see us decide that PHP5 and possibly MySQL 4+ are
the minimal requirements and evolve our code to use a more PHP5 OO design.
- Agree that javascript is here to stay :) and start to actively use
AJAX in our Admin and User core components.
- Expect that we will need time to refine and fully implement the SOC
project code

Blaine