[geeklog-devel] Handling of exceptionally long lines that breakthevisual flow of the page

Rob Griffiths robg at griffsweb.com
Thu Mar 13 11:47:03 EDT 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Blank, Jessica wrote:

> chip on their shoulder, there's no reason to allow them to ruin the
> site
> with one post :)

The flip side of that argument is also true: I don't want Geeklog
breaking up long lines that I intentionally created that way. I post
lots of code snippets -- bookmarklets, Perl scripts, etc. Some have
long lines, some (bookmarklets and perl) even have long lines without
any spaces. Those lines need to remain unbroken so they can be copied
and pasted.

As such, I strongly vote against any sort of forced-line-break
solution unless it's easily turned off. For posting such things
intentionally, a <div> with a scrolling text box works wonders.

-rob.