[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2008: Core notification service

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Tue Mar 18 18:25:27 EDT 2008

There's a very important missing subsystem: Email Throttle. On a
shared host a system with 50 users and a couple new stories could
easily cause Geeklog to overrun a per hour limit found on some shared
hosts. Some are as low as 200 emails per hour. I've been kicking
around a central email plugin for GL and part of the reason was so
you could throttle bulk emails in a manner that doesn't get your
email privileges turned off by your shared host.

Admins may also want to limit the number of emails sent per day to a
user (or even a domain) so they don't get spam-bucketed at places
like yahoo and hotmail. The mail subsystem should be able to combine
multiple notifications over a period of time to a user into one email.

Finally, if users have an inbox and they can receive a real email
when something arrives in their inbox, most systems do not send
another email until your next login.

   Joe