[geeklog-devel] SQL Server 2005 - MSSQL Driver

Michael Jervis mjervis at gmail.com
Tue May 6 15:27:42 EDT 2008

> If all the SQL queries
> are using proper syntax (anything that uses double quotes needs to be
> re-written anyway because it conflicts with SQL Server) this could solve
> problem temporarily while the addslashes are phased out. You probably have
> more experience with the Geeklog core than I, so I'm hoping you can give me
> some good news here.

As previously noted by others, MySQL is the primary platform for
Geeklog 1.x, the community plugin authors likely do not have MS SQL
knowledge or environments, we're always going to get MySQL specific
syntax and queries from other plugins. Primary reason for the whole
big deal of the MS SQL abstraction that Randy produced is this
compatibility issue.

Of course Geeklog 2 is powered by Propel which supports MS SQL and
prevents all this stuff (unless I've missed the point).

I think it's unrealistic to expect Geeklog to be fully database
agnostic any time soon, strip/add slashes not withstanding. (Though
the story system should be suitably clean for that by now).

> Also, in regard to MySQL….I think it is important to move that driver to
> mysql improved (mysqli) and start slowly implementing
> mysql_real_escape_string instead of addslashes, that way we can all work
> together in creating a better abstraction layer, hopefully making it
> extremely easy for anyone to drop in new support for other DBs any time!

Er, as noted mysqli is pretty limited in many hosting environments.
Dreamhost who allow one hell of a lot (SVN server? No problem!
PHP4/PHP5 switched on per domain/subdomain? No problem...) don't have
mysqli installed, I'd have to compile and install my own PHP (allowed)
to get it (and I'm not about to be doing that...)

> Anyway, long story short, I hope that I can finish up the installer and
> driver by tomorrow and send file + patches through to you all soon. Should I
> be on the CVS mailer for that process?

It wouldn't hurt, but, the digest is sent to this list.

Now, other issue...

What exactly are your rules of engagement here? I'm a little puzzled
at the moment.

I'm a little disconcerted that you've apparently been working on this
for three weeks without even saying "hi" to the community, the core
team, or the maintainer of the version.

You seem to be making some hopeful assumptions about Geeklog sorting
it's SQL out properly to be agnostic and work better, which haven't
been discussed (hopefully it's not too depressing after my comments)
which maybe would have changed your approach etc.

At the very least, your life could have been less painful if you'd
asked about CVS clients on Vista and getting them working earlier!

You mention the inability to supply a patch or anything until it's
been through Microsoft QA, but I would have said it's a bit more
important it goes through us than them. Since it's not going to go
into our repository (ever) if it relies on breaking all Geeklog
plugin's SQL to work! ;-)

What's your background with geeklog? Totally new to it before MS put
you on the case? Did you pick it or were you assigned it? How much
time did you spend getting to grips with the
platform/codebase/community etc before starting to look at the SQL
server support? What's your SQL Server experience/PHP experience etc?

Don't mean to come across like the Spanish inquisition [1],  but it
would be really good to know what's going on...

Cheers,

Mike

[1] - NOONE expects the Spanish inquisition, etc.