[geeklog-devel] SQL Server 2005 - MSSQL Driver

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed May 7 02:02:18 EDT 2008

Kevin J. Peno wrote:

>it was my understanding that someone had at least been in contact
>with the core team of this project

We have been contacted by Garrett Serack back in January, offering
support in improving the compatibility with MS SQL server (in various
forms). However, nothing came out of it at that point, as Garrett was
apparently waiting for some internal clearance and a public announcement
of the effort. We haven't heard from him since.

>This driver's requirements will be high. This driver alone will not work
>in any version of php below the current version (5.2.6) because it's a
>CTP, not a final, and because it will be released in the coming months.

We've always been trying to be backward compatible. In fact, we're only
now thinking about dropping support for PHP 4 after the upcoming 1.5.0
release.

Having said that, I guess the typical MS SQL user will probably have
less of a problem running an up-to-date version of PHP.

Or, spontaneous idea: Maybe we could offer both MS SQL drivers in
parallel, as an option at install time? No idea how feasible that would
be, though.

>Sorry for the marathon. And I hope that I didn't come off like I'm
>taking things over. I've just got a lot to get done still and it appears
>as though thing were not as I was told. So, I will need to have a
>meeting with my superiors tomorrow about some issues as well. Any
>ammunition that you can give me for that meeting will be most
>appreciated.

Well, you have to understand that we're wary when someone wants to drop
an (apparently) huge patch on us, without any prior communication.

Don't get me wrong - we obviously need help with the MS SQL support and
we'll gladly take what we can get. It's just that more communication
would really help here, so we both understand the others intentions better.

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/