[geeklog-devel] SQL Server 2005 - MSSQL Driver

Michael Jervis mjervis at gmail.com
Wed May 7 02:44:19 EDT 2008

>  >This driver's requirements will be high. This driver alone will not work
>  >in any version of php below the current version (5.2.6) because it's a
>  >CTP, not a final, and because it will be released in the coming months.
>
>  We've always been trying to be backward compatible. In fact, we're only
>  now thinking about dropping support for PHP 4 after the upcoming 1.5.0
>  release.

My thoughts would be that if the Microsoft driver only works with
5.2.6, then the MS SQL support in Geeklog could validly only work with
that. However, non of our core code (i.e. anything outside the MS SQL
code) can rely on the same rule.

>  Or, spontaneous idea: Maybe we could offer both MS SQL drivers in
>  parallel, as an option at install time? No idea how feasible that would
>  be, though.

The original PHP version only works on Windows right? So /generally/
installing the updated official Microsoft version shouldn't be too
much of a problem. The problem I had testing the MS SQL install was
that I couldn't get a connection to a named instance on SQL Server
2005 Express with the non-Microsoft driver. So it might be that we can
only get it working with the official driver?

>  >Sorry for the marathon. And I hope that I didn't come off like I'm
>  >taking things over. I've just got a lot to get done still and it appears
>  >as though thing were not as I was told. So, I will need to have a
>  >meeting with my superiors tomorrow about some issues as well. Any
>  >ammunition that you can give me for that meeting will be most
>  >appreciated.

Well thanks for explaining further, I'm still concerned and
disconcerted by it to be honest. You (by which I mean people in
general not you specifically) have to work /with/ Open Source
projects, especially if the you in question is Microsoft with their
negative reputation in the OS community. This means excellent
communications, setting the RoE upfront and explaining how the Open
Source team at MS has to work, and /agreeing/ what it's going to
deliver.

Got to rush, kids woken up...

Cheers,

Mike