[geeklog-devel] User account names (was: calendar plugin: Zip code is too small...)

Euan McKay info at heatherengineering.com
Thu Sep 25 19:46:44 EDT 2008

I set up a few sites for Japanese users, and quite a few users enter
their full name as the username, in Japanese (UTF-8). Restricting to
latin characters might cause problems with backward compatibility? At
least sites with existing non-latin character usernames should be
catered for.

If you want to get rid of non-latin characters, I think you need to
ask yourself: why? If you do so, I wonder if a username is really
needed? Can't everything be based off a unique, latin-character-only
email address?

I'm probably being closed-minded in my own way, but I want to see a
registration form with just fields for email address and a user-chosen
password, with nickname and full name as options enabled from the
configuration panel. But that's not what you asked. ;)

Euan.