[geeklog-devel] geeklog-devel Digest, Vol 25, Issue 10

Randy Kolenko Randy.Kolenko at nextide.ca
Sat Feb 21 10:55:00 EST 2009

While its true that Geeklog as a core framework is technically sound
without the inclusion of javascript libraries for Ajax, the fact is that
the core abilities of the framework could use some much needed sprucing
up.

Yes, you can get away with pop up windows with the editor in it, but
that is simply one area that Geeklog needs improvement.
In reality, nearly every administration component could benefit greatly
from Ajax.  New User creation would benefit greatly from look-ahead
queries to ensure an admin is not re-creating the same user account --
In reality, all of the fields in the user admin creation area could be
Ajax enabled to provide some sort of lookup or general data scrubbing
ability so that a whole page POST and refresh is eliminated.
Same goes for group adding/editing.  Same is true for just about every
admin component for nearly all plugins.
The calendar could be totally revamped to provide JS overlays to show
per-day or per-week events while maintaining the calendar in the
background which would totally eliminate a total page re-POST/GET to a
whole new page.  Simple things like that make the difference in adding
polish to the entire portal. (sounds like a good GSoC project :-)  )

In fact, the inclusion of a Ajax JS library for Geeklog to use has
nothing to do with plugin developers if they so choose not to use THAT
specific library.  If Geeklog is shipped with Jquery and a plugin author
is partial to YUI, then so be it.  The plugin is shipped with YUI.

Just my $0.02 worth.

-randy