[geeklog-devel] Suggestion: simple mode

Euan McKay info at heatherengineering.com
Wed Jan 28 08:21:39 EST 2009

Thanks for the comments.

I agree with Vinny that this could be done with templates - that is
how I usually end up hacking things to achieve what I want. My
suggestion would be to have two templates, one showing all options for
advanced users and admins, and the other showing less options for less
IT-savvy users. This could be a single choice in the user's
preferences: simple or advanced interface. Then, any plugin/feature
supporting that option could choose the template to use from that
setting.

This would also satisfy Tom's requirement that admins have full access
to all features.

A permissions-based solution would be too complicated and
time-consuming to create, as Dirk noted.

While I would like to see this, maybe it is part of a wider issue of
usability and interface design? Perhaps it would be better to have
someone (an SoC student?) working on usability and the interface in
general?

Euan.