[geeklog-devel] Suggestion: simple mode

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Jan 27 16:25:24 EST 2009

Euan McKay wrote:

>http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/11/21.html

Coincidences ... That article is also contained in the book "More Joel
on Software", which I'm currently reading. Now guess which article I
happened to be reading on the way to work today ...

>I would like to suggest a config option to use a "simple" interface
>for the admin pages, or perhaps the ability to hide certain options.

I guess there would be a similar issue here as with the demo mode I
suggested recently: Either we define a fixed set of options that are
available in that simple interface or we make the set configurable.

The first option will most likely not satisfy everybody and the second
option is a lot of work. To exaggerate: Choose between unhappy users or
unhappy developers. Oh, and maybe even unhappy admins, because then the
interface to configure this is going to be complicated.

I agree with the general idea (yours and Joel's). I'm just not sure if
it works for something like the story editor. Actually, if you do make a
simple story editor, you end up with the form that normal users get when
they submit a story.

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/