[geeklog-devel] Fwd: MSSQL Class - SQL Coding

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 00:49:56 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Joe Mucchiello <joe at throwingdice.com>wrote:

> Use of the array notation (see above) is recommended instead of checking
>> the content of $_DB_dbms when writing DBMS-specific SQL request.
>>

> I still don't like this for one reason. The code for both (and soon all
> three) array values executes but only one of the results is needed. This is
> the other reason I think a set of functions would work better.

I don't think this is going to be as big an issue. While mysql, mssql, and
pgsql (and other dbs as well) all have special notation that can be used, if
we migrate to standard ANSI sql we can use a single query for all the
databases and save ourselves the overhead of writing seperate queries for
each db. I suggested to Stan that as he finds queries that can be done in
ANSI sql shared by all dbs, he should use the ANSI sql and remove the per
datbase arrays.

-Vinny