[geeklog-devel] AJAX and Javascript Libraries - request for comments

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Mar 1 07:28:25 EST 2009

Randy Kolenko wrote:

>I vote for Jquery (not for any specific reason other than to make the
>list of recommendations grow to 7 :-) )

By coincidence, I was able to attend an introduction[1] to jQuery last week.

I've played with it for less than an hour, so I'm certainly not claiming
any expertise, but I like what I've seen so far.

It got me thinking, though, that when we adopt a JS library, we may need
to re-think the way we create pages - at least in some places. Even with
jQuery's small footprint (19K for the minified version), for example, we
probably don't want to load it on pages where we don't need it (btw, why
do we load common.js on the index page?). And the JS code specific to a
certain feature has to get into the page header at some point. This
seems to indicate a strong coupling of CSS, templates, PHP code and the
program flow that may require rewrites in places.

So picking a JS library is only the first step. Proper integration will
take much longer.

Just a post to point out that I haven't forgotten this topic. But then
again I don't see too much enthusiasm about it ...

bye, Dirk

[1] <http://it-republik.de/dotnet/basta/sessions/?tid=1112#session-3> [2]
[2] yes, it was a Microsoft-centric conference, but the jQuery
presentation wasn't

--
http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/