[geeklog-devel] [geeklog-spam] Google Summer of Code 2009: Geeklog

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Fri Mar 20 15:32:22 EDT 2009

saurabh gupta wrote:

>All right. What I have understood from your point is that whenever a
>user is a spammer, then the SWOT feed should pass this information
>also. This can be a good option because in many cases spammers with
>same user  name and account trolls on other sites.

I'm beginning to wonder if that was Mike's original intention, but I
would like to be able to have several SWOT feeds for different purposes.

The way I see it: You can catch a lot of the usual spam with simple
measures. Add the usual pill names and a couple of porn-related
expressions to your personal blacklist. Add SLV to the mix, and you've
already got rid of a lot of spam.

But I'm beginning to see an increasing amount of more subtle spam, some
of it manual. It won't be caught by SLV (or Akismet or similar services)
because it's low-volume but still annoying. I want to have a way to put
information about that sort of spam out there. SWOT may be the answer to that.

Of course, other SWOT feeds would contain other information such as,
say, about that spammer from the Ukraine who was so annoying that I had
to block the entire 91.207.4.0/22 and 91.207.8.0/23 adress ranges[1] in
my .htaccess.

Of course, being able to selectively or semi-automatically put different
information into different feeds would also require some changes in the
way the Spam-X plugin currently works (on the user, i.e. the Admin's,
side). So maybe that is the point where the two spam-related projects
(SWOT and Spam-X overhaul) are beginning to merge into one ...

Just thinking out loud. But having some brilliant idea here would
probably increase your chances of being accepted :)

bye, Dirk

[1] Yep, actual IP address blocks.

--
http://www.geeklog.net/