[geeklog-devel] [geeklog-spam] Google Summer of Code 2009: Geeklog

saurabh gupta saurabhgupta1403 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 09:56:43 EDT 2009

hi,

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Dirk Haun <dirk at haun-online.de> wrote:
> saurabh gupta wrote:
>
>>(a brief overview):
>
> Looks like a good start for an application to me :-)
>

>>Both spam-X and SWOT ideas can be merged to some extent in this summer
>>and the above features and  some more can be added as time permits.
>
> As I said, I'm fine with merging the two projects if you can convince us
> that it's doable during the summer (possibly by leaving out a few things
> here and there).

Being honest, I am also not sure how much is this doable as it
contains a lot of work. I can only say it for sure after doing more
research and discussing with experts here ( I don't want to make any
false commitments :) ). Also, one need to understand the underlying
code for SWOT and spam-X first deeply.
However, I think in the way that one should write the to-do works in
the application along with additional ideas which can be implemented
if time permits. This has the advantage that even after summer, the
student can work on those discussed ideas which are approved by the
community and mentor.

>>However, from my experience, I feel that making the site more admin
>>and user friendly is more important.
>
> Agreed.
>

>>If we can bring more intelligence to the
>>spam-X, then it will ease the life a lot.
>
> To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical about this whole "intelligence" idea.
> Not because I consider it a bad idea, but more because this sounds like
> it could already take up a lot of time. The mechanisms we currently use
> in Spam-X are mostly very dumb and simple. Any "intelligence" is handled
> by external services (e.g. SLV). And it seems to work remarkably well, IMHO.
>

>>For example, whenever a comment is posted and it is a spam according
>>to the user. Now, we can provide a separate button along with each
>>post which says "Mark as spam". Now, after clicking on this, user will
>>get the option for on what basis it can be a spam post.
>
> That sounds useful (and shouldn't require a lot of intelligence ...).
Exactly. Basically, we can work on the motto of eliminating the manual
work in feeding the spam-X engine. At each comment possibly, there
should be an option to train the spam-X by clicking a button and
adding the things which indicate the spam behavior of that comment (it
can be specific words, IP address, user name or even any link in that
comment). The information will be automatically fed into the spam-X
blacklist under the proper category and will make the life a lot
easier.

>>If necessary, any security feature can be added which will
>>not allow any one to import the spam-X feed without the permission of
>>site-admin.
>
> Yes, please.
Great that you want this feature. We can discuss about it more and
figure out the way to implement it. In my opinion, whenever we have to
import any spam-X feed (as SWOT should not include any security
feature because SWOT is a general feed and anyone should get its
benefit), it will ask the site admin to send some confirmation code
along with the import file. However, this will have many problems on
which I will have to think more :-|

>>Now
>>a days, I can't devote my full time in this because of my college's
>>mid-semester exams going on.
>
> As a general note: We know that the schedule of students outside the US
> may not align with the summer break on US universities and that they may
> not be fully available during the coding period (May 23 - August 17).
> Please include such information in your application. The end date is
> fixed, but we should be able to move the start date around and give you
> time off for exams etc. where necessary.

Sure Dirk. Most probably I will not need any break for more than one
week during the whole GSoC, but I will include this in my application.

> bye, Dirk
>

> --
> http://www.geeklog.net/
> http://geeklog.info/