[geeklog-devel] GSoC Question about OpenID project

Matt West matt.danger.west at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:50:19 EDT 2009

Hi Salvador,

> The project I'm most interested in is implementing OpenID 2.0
> capabilities.
> I have used OpenID for a couple of school projects for checking login
> information, and I think it would be great if I could work on it for
> Geeklog,
> although I have never worked on the Provider side.

Well what better chance to learn than to implement it into Geeklog :)

> I just would like to ask what is the benefit of having a OpenId
> library
> that does Provider and Client? Would it be possible to first work on
> a library for the Client side just to get Geeklog to work with OpenID
> 2.0 as a mini-project, and after it work on getting Geeklog to act
> as a
> provider?

The benefit of having a provider library is that it further expands
the size and usefulness of the OpenID network. Plus, there are a
handful of large Geeklog powered sites with active users that would
probably like to use their accounts on other sites that use OpenID.

As far as a development timeline, the implementation of OpenID 2.0 can
be done in stages (the order of development might not matter). For the
best result you will want to research both projects in depth before
beginning development (or writing a proposal). That way you can see
what is involved and what problems you think you may experience. It
sounds like you've already done some of this step so in that respect
you're off to a good start :)

Matt West