[geeklog-devel] Suggestion: encourage plugin developers to use both templates in themes and root

Euan McKay info at heatherengineering.com
Mon Mar 30 20:44:12 EDT 2009

A random thought that needs development came from this comment by Tom:

> Automatically installing the update, I probably would
> never use, since a number of plugins I use I have done code mods and
> template/css changes.

I now usually use a simple check in functions.inc to see if a folder
exists in the theme folder, and if it does, set that as the path to
the template files. If not, I use the standard templates folder in the
plugin root. In the plugin, all new template calls use the template
path variable I defined.

This means that if I upgrade a plugin, I don't lose my changes to the
templates. Of course, there are problems, and I still have to update
template files if there have been changes to them, but it means I can
update easily if it is just a code change.

This might also be something to consider for the plugins repository: a
flag to show "template changes have been made" when a plugin is
updated.

2 yen.

Euan.