[geeklog-devel] Updating a plugin in the Plugin Repository

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Thu May 28 18:43:59 EDT 2009

I think it would be nice if we could somehow version the files in the plugin
repository. That way if you running a 1.6.x Geeklog site (still supported)
but the updated plugin uses features (plugin APIs, etc) only 1.7.x you can
run/download/install the old version (for instance if your site is lost and
you are recovering it from backups).

Then you could have the plugin repository admin mark some versions as
depreciated or insecure or even unavailable.

I do wholeheartedly agree with this:

> - Click on an "Edit" link
> - You can now edit the description and select a new file for upload
> - Click "update"
>
> What happens then depends on a variety of options we talked about
> before, e.g. is the person allowed to update the plugin directly or does
> it have to go through re-approval by a moderator?
>
> If it goes into the moderation queue, you should still be able to
> download the old version until the update is approved. So you would need
> two db entries (which you would need anyway, if you're using the
> Moderation API).

Also, it shouldn't require that the newly uploaded file has a different
> filename than the old version (as the File Management plugin does - I
> consider this a bug). Preferrably, the file name would be editable
> without having to re-upload the file (typos happen ...).

You should be able to write a "download.php" file that grabs the file off
the file system but causes the downloaded file name to be whatever is set in
the database. That would allow for non-unique filenames. The files on the
system could simply be named for the plugin repository id they are
associated and a unique number (i.e. calendar-0001.tar.gz). Then when it
gets downloaded it can be calendar_0.1_1.6.0.tar.gz. Using a download.php
would have the added advantage of being able to keep old files around and
still restrict downloads of them.

> Did I forget anything?

I don't think so, but I do think I need to hang out on IRC more. :)

-Vinny