[geeklog-devel] Updating a plugin in the Plugin Repository

Matt West matt.danger.west at gmail.com
Fri May 29 09:20:08 EDT 2009

On May 28, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Vincent Furia wrote:

> I think it would be nice if we could somehow version the files in
> the plugin repository. That way if you running a 1.6.x Geeklog site
> (still supported) but the updated plugin uses features (plugin APIs,
> etc) only 1.7.x you can run/download/install the old version (for
> instance if your site is lost and you are recovering it from backups).
>
> Then you could have the plugin repository admin mark some versions
> as depreciated or insecure or even unavailable.

Tim had suggested something like this and I actually discouraged him
with the reasoning that it wouldn't be used much. The more I think of
it now, it is a good idea. We were thinking in terms of different
development versions (alpha, beta, final, etc), not final releases,
though.

It shouldn't be up to the repository admin to mark the plugins as
deprecated, et all, though. That's something the plugin developer
would know best.

> You should be able to write a "download.php" file that grabs the
> file off the file system but causes the downloaded file name to be
> whatever is set in the database. That would allow for non-unique
> filenames. The files on the system could simply be named for the
> plugin repository id they are associated and a unique number (i.e.
> calendar-0001.tar.gz). Then when it gets downloaded it can be
> calendar_0.1_1.6.0.tar.gz. Using a download.php would have the added
> advantage of being able to keep old files around and still restrict
> downloads of them.

I'm on board with this.

> I don't think so, but I do think I need to hang out on IRC more. :)
>
> -Vinny

No_uO was missing you last night :)

Matt