[geeklog-devel] Redirect after login

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Thu Nov 26 15:53:20 EST 2009

Here's a scenario where we would need to agree on a convention to be
more user friendly:

We installed the forum plugin at work. Access is restricted, so you need
to login first to see anything. Now, when people send around links to
discussions and the recipient is not logged in, they get a message and a
link to login. After following that link and logging in, however, they
expect to be taken to the discussion. Instead they end up on the site's
front page.

That effect is not limited to the forum plugin - the same happens in
Geeklog with the "contribute" link, for example, and a few other places.

So I think we need to agree on a way to pass the target URL around
during the login.

Suggestion: When linking to /users.php, add ?redirect=urlencode
($target_url) to the URL. Then we can change users.php to do the
redirect after successful login.

Any problems with that? Other suggestions?

http://geeklog.info/