[geeklog-devel] [geeklog-cvs] geeklog: Experimental: Give the user an idea how long they have ...

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Fri Oct 30 12:09:40 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Dirk Haun <dirk at haun-online.de> wrote:

> Yes, that's the best solution to the problem I've heard so far and
> should be the final goal.

Actually, the best solution to the problem would be an optional AJAX
auto-save features.  The JS to call a PHP auto-save PHP script is trivial.
During that request the CSRF token and timestamp values in the session can
be updated and the new token can be sent back where DOM manipulation would
replace the old token.

Of course <noscript> tags can be added to accomodate people that down allow
JS.   This does begin to touch on whether admins should simply be required
to allow JS.  At work (gov't with accessibility requirements) we use
graceful degredation for admin areas and progressive enhancement for
anything facing the public.  I'm thinking of formally adopting that for
AptitudeCMS but that comes at the expense of pissing off anybody with
accessibility concerns from administrating the system.  At work, this is a
customer-by-customer decision but for a project like this it's a much
muddier deal.

> Welcome back, btw :)

[grin].  It was good seeing you at Google. Given our conversations there,
the fact AptitudeCMS alpha is finally out this seemed appropriate again.

--
Tony Bibbs
Phone: (515) 259-0003