[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2010 is on

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Thu Apr 1 22:57:33 EDT 2010

Replying to myself from 6 weeks ago. This was the thread where I
proposed the changes to gl_groups to support user defined groups for
use by the socnet plugin.

At 12:10 AM 2/17/2010, Joe Mucchiello wrote:
>I would offer to write the patch but I don't have a good track
>record with getting my patches accepted into core.

That lack of acceptance is mostly my fault because, like this patch,
I usually submit them just as core is upgrading and my patches end up
being behind by a version. With all the enthusiasm for socnet I'm
hoping this one will be the exception.

Regardless, I created the patch. It wasn't that hard. Since I have no
mercurial access, I've created a feature request in the bug tracker
and attached a zip file contain the just under 30 files that needed
to be updated. I've tested it out as well as I could without a socnet
plugin to test against.
http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=1106 The feature
request has all the details needed to apply the patch to stock 1.6.1,
upgrade, and play around with it.

For review, there is a new field on gl_groups called grp_owner. When
that field is zero, the group is considered a system group. When the
field is non-zero, that uid owns the group. What it means to own a
group is not detailed anywhere in core. All that this patch does to
core is ensure that all core access to the gl_groups table includes
the where clause 'grp_owner = 0'. There are some issues with $_GROUPS
as detailed in the feature request but they are not an issue for
core. They are an issue for other plugins.

   Joe

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.0.0.19 - 10.004.176).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/