[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2010 is on

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Fri Apr 2 02:00:25 EDT 2010

At 01:39 AM 4/2/2010, Vincent Furia wrote:
>Only had a few minutes tonight to take a look. Have a couple comments though:
>
>1.  1.7.0 introduces Postgresql support, we'll need SQL updates for
>it as well.

Yeah, I know. I can read the docs and make something up. But someone
more familiar with pgsql should write that. If I had been targeting
1.7.0 directly, I'd have created the files at a minimum. I just
figured 1.7.0 is a moving target and a 3-way merge with mercurial
should be easier than it use to be with CVS. Someone just needs to
checkout from the 1.6.1 commit. Merge my changes and then try to push
the changes back up. (Although, I admit, for me this is just my
understanding of the theory behind a DVCS.)

>2.  Since your using the column grp_owner in where clauses everytime
>you select from the group table, I think we need an index on it. I
>think the UNIQUE INDEX in MySQL also acts as sorting index, but I
>don't think (but I'm not sure) that a MSSQL CONSTRAINT acts as an index.

Again, I just mirrored what I saw in the mssql files. If what you say
is true there are potentially no indexes (other than primary key
indexes) on the mssql install as I see no place where a CREATE INDEX
statement is executed. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to run
mssql to test it out. Ultimately, I wasn't worried about indexes on
the database because they can always be tweaked ad hoc in a worst
case scenario. Besides, Geeklog is lousy about indexes. If you've
ever upgraded a database continuously from an early version you might
end up with duplicate indexes on various tables.

>I'll have more time to look at it over the weekend.

Thanks.

>P.S. You may be a bit late for 1.7.0. Dirk indicated a feature
>freeze earlier this week and is aiming for a Beta 1.7.0 over the weekend.

I always miss the feature freeze emails. Looking back he didn't
actually call it a feature freeze. Just a beta this weekend. I sent
him an email about this yesterday that he didn't answer. So I can
still hope this time I made it under the wire. Technically I suppose
this only needs to be part of 1.7.1hg so that GSoC devs can use it.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.0.0.19 - 10.004.176).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/