[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Forums

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sat Aug 28 17:05:02 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: geeklog-devel-bounces at lists.geeklog.net
[mailto:geeklog-devel-bounces at lists.geeklog.net] On Behalf Of Dirk Haun
Sent: August-28-10 12:10 PM
To: Geeklog Development
Subject: Re: [geeklog-devel] Geeklog Forums

>> http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=91053&lastpost=true

>I'm open to a Forum reorg. Specifically, I think the GL 2 forum needs to
go. But what do we do with the posts in there? Not all of them are about GL
2, mind you.

Yeah I don't think we should lose the posts, maybe have an archive section
(viewable or not by everyone except Admins??)

>> Google Summer of Code
>> - GSOC 2010
>> - GSOC 2011 (would be added if we get accepted next year)

>Where's all the GSoC traffic that should go into those? I'd suggest only
one GSoC forum.

I would hope we would generate some traffic with the post about this year's
GSOC projects and how they ended up when it hits the Geeklog homepage. Sure,
one would be fine, we could always add more when needed. If it is only going
to be one maybe this should be moved to Development & Coding?

>> Development & Coding (previously Developers Only)
>> - GL 1.7
>> - GL 1.8
>> - GL 1.9 (would be added once 1.7 released)

>Again, where's all the traffic for those forums? The "Developers Only"
heading probably kept too many users away, so changing that to something
more friendly is a good idea. But I'd only have, say, one >general Geeklog
development and a plugin development forum (or "add-ons" or something like
that). I don't really see a need for separate forums per version - it would
only clutter the forums after some >releases.

Yeah I guess it would get cluttered in a few years. How about this then

Development & Coding
- GL 1.x
- Plugins
- Templates
- GSOC ???

This way we separate out the 3 distinct items as you can get a lot of theme
creators who are not really coders. I realize the traffic is not there yet
for multiple forums but, (as it was said in Field of Dreams) if you build
it, they will come. Hopefully as we start to slowly address the issues of
the Geeklog community it will bring more new users (like 1ynx) that will
stick around and who are willing to contribute.