[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2010 is on

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Mon Feb 15 15:42:38 EST 2010

At 02:12 PM 2/15/2010, Dirk Haun wrote:
> >2. Ok so now we have friends, what does a typical Geeklog webmaster want
> >their users to be able to do with friends?
>
>And I think if someone comes up with an answer to this, it could become
>an interesting project.

It might be better to negate this question: What does a typical
Geeklog webmaster NOT want their users to be able to do with friends?
I'm sure some sites would disable the friend code in its entirety but
what about partial implementations? Calendar events for private
groups would be great and it would be something a webmaster might
want to disable. Links only my friends can see? Also something
someone might want to disable. Etc. Basically the real question is
how will friends be useable and how do you make it easy for the admin
to disable one or more of these things.

The current problem is that it isn't possible to hook into the
permissions system currently to add friendship lists to the system.
Once that ability exists, every subsystem will need to determine "is
this something individual users should be able to add to their
profile?" Currently Geeklog is very admin oriented. You give discrete
abilities to a select few chosen people and they then pontificate to
your users. Social networking turns that on its ear. They are all
about allowing users to talk to other users without some
administrator vetting the content.

Personally step 1 doesn't sound like a GSOC project. It sounds like
something done by (or for) the team and integrated into a new version
of Geeklog and left turned off when first released. Then you can have
GSOC projects for integrating existing (and new) systems with the new
friend capabilities. It's kind of a chicken and egg issue. You can't
add friend capabilities to things without core support and adding
core support for friends is useless if nothing uses that support.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.0.0.19 - 10.004.149).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/