[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2010 is on

Randy Kolenko Randy.Kolenko at nextide.ca
Wed Feb 17 07:47:00 EST 2010

> I would offer to write the patch but I don't have a good track record
> with getting my patches accepted into core.

This statement is exactly why I propose to make this a plugin.
The plugin can be maintained outside of core, freeing the author and
contributors from the shackles of having to jam through unnecessary
changes into the base code.

The socnet plugin would then have a life of its own with a release cycle
that matches how fast social networking changes rather than matching
GL's release cycle.

The core should be there to provide services for plugins.  The plugins
are what should extend functionality.  Otherwise, why not just bundle
back in static pages, calendar, polls etc.

Socnet, for now, seems to be "simple" on the surface.  Who knows what is
actually required 6 months from now.. 10 months from now etc.  Each
additive requirement for socnet would mean core code changes.
2 years from now, I would hate to see functions like "COM_facebookLogin"
and "COM_myspaceDeleteStuff" in lib common.

-randy