[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2010 Project ideas

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 18:29:29 EST 2010

Abhinzv,

Those are some good ideas, comments below:

1. integrating OAuth: It will be great if geeklog provide facility to
> use OAuth for log in to the system. OAuth is using in many sites since
> it provide secure log in as well as no extra headache to create a new
> account :).

This may be a great project for GSOC.  Last year we had a student implement
OpenID. OAuth would be a good addition to Geeklogs existing ability to
authenticate against several different sites and services.

2. Allowing adding widget in Site: Adding widget/Google gadgets such
> that to-do list, countdown, Page Visits, and Other as a block will add
> more functionality in geeklog.

These would all be great enhancements to Geeklog. But since Geeklog already
has a block architecture that these could easily be added to, I don't think
there is enough coherence to make this a GSOC project.

> 3. Integrating Google Maps: Integration of Google maps will allow to
> locate the user on the map. User will able to find friends and add them
> as a contact.

This is a great "extra feature" idea for the existing SocNet plugin GSOC
project listing. On its own though it is not big enough for its own GSOC
project.

> 4. Integration Ads: Ads are the source of earning on the website. So we
> should move ahead for integrating adsense or other ads service.

I believe there already exist several sets of instructions to add ads to
Geeklog sites. From experience, incorporating an existing Ad service such as
Google's AdSense is not difficult and would not be sufficient for a GSOC
project. If you meant to create an "Ad Plugin" that provided ad rotation, ad
sales/billing, ad statistics, and more(?) it would likely be a big enough
project for GSOC. If this is something you want to purse, please flesh out
the requirements you would want to see in such a plugin.

Thanks for input!
-Vinny