[geeklog-devel] GSOC - Socnet

Randy Kolenko Randy.Kolenko at nextide.ca
Thu Mar 18 18:47:46 EDT 2010

Hi Ruturaj,

Thanks for your interest in the Socnet project for GSoC.
To respond to your email in the best possible way, I will respond to each of your points in order:

1. Geeklog's current group management is fine for core Geeklog.  As highlighted in the GSoC Geeklog wiki, there was already a good discussion on how to easily extend the current group structure that would easily allow the current core group code to exist with the minor data schema change.

2. You're correct in how you've explained the social networking capabilities.  To boil it down, Socnet is based on giving end users group creation abilities and all administration that surrounds those groups as noted in the socnet wiki page.  However the admins of GL should be able to administer those end user groups as well.

3. User's groups are totally managed by the end user and owned by the end user.  They choose who they'd like to have as part of their social groups.
That means that there is most certainly the ability to have one "friend" as part of many socnet groups.

4. Notification of content changes is something that is certainly a must for social networking.  However there is some debate still left to be had in terms of how those notifications happen.  I would expect Socnet proposals to have something outlining how notifications could be handled.

Bullet item 4 above hints at having an API made available by the Socnet plugin that would help surface a permissions "widget" in any plugin that asks for it to be surfaced -- this is the beginnings of how content is secured and stored for social networks.

-randy