[geeklog-devel] gsoc notification system

ganesh th3iedkid at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 02:31:19 EDT 2010

hi

Oh! Well herez the plan i had in mind for the outside view of the
notification system
->To develop an effective API for plugins to use we could have information
structurally stored as JSON
->The effective notification system could use a single function call to get
the information stored in as JSON and then use that information to notify
which could have the various arguments to specify the kind of information it
wants
->The same API could provide ease of notification for any other mode of
notification...what i mean by this is this API could help someone else build
say a firefox addon or could be used to make another of those social
mashups. I thought of this because of the fact emails are'nt always the best
means to notify in terms urgency.
->To provide a base set of plugins utilizing the API as an example ...like a
marker in the index page after a user logs in.

*&
Well as for the notifications they need not be too verbose  in the kind of
information they provide most of the times, thus even something like twitter
or any other micro-blog service could be used to comment.

Now for some of the objectives
-> Extend the plugin API's to use the new services
 I want the developers making new plugins using this notification service to
be at ease..

I would'nt directly put in the exact system of notification like email/rss
etc  into the core API which is getting used by the plugins, i would have to
modularize it to  another module like something separate for emails, another
for rss and so on..

the other objectives

   - Develop the notification admin / site admin screen
   - Develop the UI and program for the users to manage their notification
   subscription rules.

might use the json illustrating the AJAXian benefits of it.
another objective

Now as for the notification service , this needs to be efficient because the
same API could get called millions of times , assuming a highly active
discussion in the secure CMS, now this needs an effcient API that gets used
just more than often. Caching is effective only until a certain extent,
beyond which i learnt out of my own experience that it really slows down
things.So i would need something that also increases the efficiency even
when the API interface gets called often.

Also we would need to flush out the old information frequently so that the
existing information doesn't get clobbered up.

I wanted to know if the idea is really going good with the goals of a secure
cms

thanks and regards
ganesh