[geeklog-devel] Improvement of Installation GUI

Abhishek Shrivastava abhi.nitt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 16:49:06 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I am Abhishek, a student from India. I am interested in improving the
GUI of the Geeklog project. I am a contributor to the Pragyan CMS
project and the developer of Agate CMS. Both are employed at my
college related websites only and are not such advanced professional
CMS, but I do got a worthy experience of developing a CMS from
scratch. And so I realize the GUI and installation are some of the
most important components of a CMS.

I downloaded and installed the Geeklog CMS on my Linux running PC. To
be frank, I really think there is a much scope of improvement. For
example, that part where user has to move the public_html folder and
specify the new location manually could be either avoided(without
compromising security ofcourse) or automated.

The goal is to make the user as less manual work on the server as
possible. Ideally, the only think the user should do is to create a DB
and extract the CMS in his webserver folder and then run the install
script and enter the details.

Can someone please give me a brief idea about why exactly do I need to
separate public_html folder and other contents in separate directories
during installation ??

Regards,
Abhishek.