[geeklog-devel] SocNet

Randy Kolenko Randy.Kolenko at nextide.ca
Thu Mar 25 10:38:42 EDT 2010

This is a response for the general question of providing Socnet
capabilities solely through the Socnet plugin with no schema and code
changes to core:

If you follow the thread of discussion on this topic provided in the
GSoC wiki page for Socnet, you will see that the community decided to
leverage the existing codebase of Geeklog to provide group
functionality.  Not all of us are in agreement in whole on that
principle (namely me), as I personally believe this functionality should
reside solely in Socnet.  However this is open source development and we
need to be flexible to the desires, needs and expertise provided by the
community as a whole.  Therefore when I put the Socnet wiki page
together it was with that spirit in mind and thus Socnet's GSoC project
will include altering the core group table schema and some core code.

If a student wishes to proceed along a Socnet project path that does not
alter core, then a complete design as well as a valid reason why to not
proceed down that path  should be included in the student application.

I hope that helps!

-randy