[geeklog-devel] GSOC 2010 application for Improvement in Configurations GUI

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Sun Mar 28 12:05:47 EDT 2010

At 12:00 PM 3/28/2010, Vincent Furia wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Joe Mucchiello
><<mailto:joe at throwingdice.com>joe at throwingdice.com> wrote:
>At 08:46 PM 3/27/2010, Abhishek Shrivastava wrote:
>Overall, this project will completely overhaul the way Configuration
>works and looks to the user. The end-product of this project will be
>a totally new version of configurations page with rich GUI based on
>jQuery, AJAX-based search tools for configurations and
>per-option-based access control lists for users.
>

>I'm hoping I'm reading this incorrectly. But search-based
>configuration sounds like a bad idea to me. I like the idea of
>grouping things better. But I still want to be able to slog through
>page after page of configuration so I can see all the possible
>configuration options at a glance. Making the configurations respond
>to "search" would require adding a lot of alias words to the various
>configuration options.
>

>I think the idea with the "search" configuration is to supplement,
>not replace, the existing categorized configuration pages. That way
>you can slog through all the pages when initially configuring (or
>reconfiguring) your site. But when you just want to change one item
>you can just search for it rather than trying to figure out on which
>page the item is found.

I hope that's what he means, too, Vinny. I just wanted to be explicit
about it. If he does get all AJAXy about it I can imagine a huge tree
of configuration options. As long as you can still expand all on the
tree, that's good enough.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.0.0.19 - 10.004.170).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/