[geeklog-devel] GSOC 2010 application for Improvement in Configurations GUI

Abhishek Shrivastava abhi.nitt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 12:18:07 EDT 2010

Dear Joe,

To quote you :
> But search-based configuration sounds like a bad idea to me. I like the
idea of grouping things better. But I still want to be able
> to slog through page after page of configuration so I can see all the
possible configuration options at a glance. Making the
> configurations respond to "search" would require adding a lot of alias
words to the various configuration options.

Search based configuration are not the only way to do it. Ofcourse, the
usual list of configuration pages, with lots of configurations will still be
there. The search box will just be a part of it, which the user can use (if
required), to find a particular option. If not, he can always dig through
the configuration pages :)

> I like the idea of having a separate control table for config info. the
conf_values table should just have the data. A separate table
> should be used to control the configuration layout. As for permissions, I
would suggest looking at SEC_hasRights. You should
> have two fields in the database: the first is a comma separated list of
features. The second is either "AND" or "OR". You then
> pass these two fields directly to SEC_hasRights to see if the user can
modify that configuration option.

Thanks. Its what I have in my mind too. As of now, we have feature lists
like story.edit, polls.edit, etc.. I will implement individual
configurations as features like config.site_name, config.site_url, etc..
This would allow fine-grained  access control to individual configuration.

I hope I replied to all your queries. Thanks for reviewing.

With Best Regards,
Abhishek Shrivastava.