[geeklog-devel] Graphics

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 18:40:50 EDT 2010

Just wanted to add some input from the mentor summit. Saturday morning I
attended the session "Creating the Ideal Homepage for your Project". Sadly,
it looks like the note taker from that session never posted the notes. Here
are the bullets of what I took away from the session:

   - Navigation on the top of the page is infrequently used and often
   ignored entirely. One organization did an eye tracking study and found top
   navigation is least viewed content on the page.
   - Design consisting of solely or mostly text is intimidating. This is
   especially true for dense text.
   - Keeping content for developers (perhaps better labeled contributors)
   separate from content for users ("site developers" in our case) usually
   promotes cleaner more user friendly design.
   - "Screencast" videos are popular among non-contributors, but (almost)
   completely ignored by contributors.
   - Use other open source projects' web sites as examples. Feel free to
   copy design from other sites (with their permission). I think we should take
   a look at other CMSs' sites and figure out which design details are
   applicable to us and try to incorporate those design elements into our site.
   - The group had mixed feelings about whether and how prominently case
   studies and example sites should be featured. Everyone did agree that it is
   a bad idea to commit to a time line to refreshing content (e.g. a site of
   the week) for fear of being unable to keep to an update schedule.
   - The other place of much group dissent was how much, if any, detail
   should be included on the front page describing the project (i.e. an "about"
   section).
   - Prominent "Download" buttons were liked by almost everyone
(geeklog.netis an example of this).

The group also (very briefly) took a look at geeklog.net and had some
suggestions and comments. Sadly, I seem to have misplaced the notes I took
during that time. Here is the what I remember:

   - The prominent download button was considered a good choice.
   - The three column layout was universally panned for being to cluttered.
   - The forum block was praised for keeping content on the homepage fresh.
   - People commented that the site was difficult to take in because of the
   text density.
   - The general color scheme of the site was thought to be pretty good.

I'm not sure how to directly apply all these points to our site layout. I
think a customized front page with a bit less content, but with some
prominent useful links would be a good idea.

There was bit more discussion about other open source projects' sites, but I
don't think I'll go into detail on those as the parts that are relevant to
geeklog.net are covered above. Let me know if you guys have any questions
about the session or any of the notes.

-Vinny