[geeklog-devel] Geeklog 1.7.1rc1 & looking ahead

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Tue Oct 12 15:19:09 EDT 2010

I think that it is necessary to have some guidelines to make sure that
artwork that is created by different developers is consistent and works
well together.

When I started work on those icons, I really just took a stab at it in
the hope that people would like them. I tried to follow to the "Tango!"
guidelines[1], but I have deviated from them a bit. I must say that from
I have seem, I think that the reaction so far has been positive.

If there are plans to continue improving the graphics, it would make
sense to have "Geeklog style guidelines". Because I'm a newbie in
open-source software development, I don't know how things work around
here and what is necessary for this (or if this is even necessary).

If such guidelines are to be created, I would suggest that one of them
should be that all graphics should be available in SVG format. This is
because it is much easier to maintain vector graphics, rather then
raster graphics. In fact, I'm keeping an SVG copy of every icon that
I've worked on so far ;)

As far as GL logo goes, I'm available to do work on it, if this is
required. Not straight away, as I will be moving house shortly, but in
about 2-3 weeks. One issue that I can see with the current logo is that
it is saved in a not-very-nice format: GIF. This format has only a 1-bit
alpha channel, resulting in incorrect display when the background colour
is something other then what the image was created for. This problem is
very obvious on the demo site, if you switch the theme. A much better
format is PNG, because it has an 8-bit alpha channel. This allows for
good display on any background, but it is not handled very gracefully by
ancient browsers like IE5 and IE6.

That's my thoughts so far.

Rouslan.

[1] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines