[geeklog-devel] Google Code-in: Tasks and Mentors wanted!

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sat Oct 30 07:00:22 EDT 2010

Joe Mucchiello wrote:

>> Find a replacement for kses
> Isn't this already solved?

Says who?

>> Convert the Geeklog Documentation to XHTML
> Isn't the Internet moving HTML5 instead?

Or XHTML5. Neither of which is a standard yet.

It's not a very important task, but having the docs in XHTML would allow us easy conversion to anything we want later on. And we could parse it with an XML parser, which may (or may not) come in handy.

>> Collect Information about Encryption Algorithms for Passwords
> Um, change it to SHA1 (built in to PHP) and add some salt. The real trick
> to this task is making the change.

Just skimming the Wikipedia article on SHA1:

> In light of the results for SHA-0, some experts suggested that plans for the use of SHA-1 in new cryptosystems should be reconsidered.

I doubt anyone here is up to date on the discussion in the security community. Which is why this is a research task. It isn't supposed to make the decision for us, but to provide us with information so we have something to base our decision on.

The actual switch is the easy part.