[geeklog-devel] Facebook usernames

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Fri Apr 29 12:41:15 EDT 2011

Seeing all those numerical usernames created by people logging in with their Facebook accounts reminded me of a somewhat buried feature:

We have a function USER_uniqueUsername, which in turn calls CUSTOM_uniqueUsername if that exists.

So if Facebook doesn't provide us with the Facebook username, maybe we could create a more readable Geeklog username from their full name? I could imagine that "why is my username a number" could become a FAQ once 1.8.0 is more widely used ...

I wouldn't want to hard-code such a fix in USER_uniqueUsername but we could provide sample code in CUSTOM_uniqueUsername that people could then just activate when needed.

Thoughts?