[geeklog-devel] more GSoC project ideas

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Fri Feb 11 07:58:27 EST 2011

More ideas:

* Add support for SQLite databases (self-explanatory).

* Create a self-deploying version of Geeklog.
I was checking out various bulletin boards a few weeks ago and bumped
into one (can't remember the name) that had a version that would
download and install itself directly to the server.
The idea is that the user downloads a small (a few hundred lines) PHP
script and drops it on his webserver. The user then points his browser
to this script and after filling out a form with some parameters, the
script downloads, extracts and installs the requested version of Geeklog
automatically.
The obvious advantage is reduction of traffic for the user: instead of
downloading a large tarball and having to upload it somewhere else, that
tarball magically finds its way from geeklog.net to the remote
webserver.
But would this alone even keep a person busy all summer? If not, I guess
that it would be also great to somehow integrate Tim's plugin repository
system into this (whenever it's ready), so that a user gets a list of
remotely available plugins. And is given a choice of deploying these
plugins in exactly the same way during the install of core.

Rouslan