[geeklog-devel] Geeklog's New Configuration GUI

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Fri Feb 11 11:45:32 EST 2011

Hi All,

I just recently pushed the new Geeklog Configuration GUI . This was a GSOC
2010 project which was coded by Akeda Bagus and mentored by Matt West
(http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/SoC_improve_configuration_gui). It took a
bit more on my part than I thought it would, to get it fully integrated and
updated into the current version of Geeklog.

So what's new besides the tabs?

JQuery

-          Yes, the next version of Geeklog will include jQuery along with
some jQuery UI libraries that are used by the configuration

Input Validation

-          You can now define a validation rule for each config input. If an
incorrect value is entered the user will be prompted to re-enter with an
explanation of what is required

Access Control

-          You can now define access for other users to Geeklog
Configuration on a per tab basis(for core and plugins)

-          You now can search for configuration options

There was a number of things that I have added to the new configuration.
This includes:

-          Backward compatibility for older plugins.

-          Added Fieldsets back for readability and grouping of config items

-          Fixed a few installation problems and added new config fields

-          Added in the update procedures for Geeklog and core plugins

-          Fixed issues when PHP error reporting set to E_ALL

There are still a number of things left to do before release

-          The configuration validation for the core plugins has to be added

-          Update the jQuery integration (Move to footer, fix inline calls,
add a config option to disable javascript on the front end)

-          Update the jQuery UI theme used by the configuration

-          Testing with MS SQL and PG SQL

A nice to have but not required for 1.8.0 would be:

-          Get the basic configuration to work without javascript

So when you get a moment please pull the latest changeset and give the new
configuration a try. Test out the new features and let me know if I missed
any bugs. Also if anyone wants to tackle any of the remaining items on the
last 2 lists just let me know.

Thanks