[geeklog-devel] [Fwd: Re: Redesign the Plugin "Editor"]

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Mon Jan 17 09:18:06 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 21:10 -0800, Joe Mucchiello wrote:

> Do you really think "This plugin requires the social networing plugin
> active in order to work" is the kind of information that belongs in a
> tooltip?
Why not? I guess that in both cases (tooltip vs plugin editor) we'd need
some sort of a "Error information available" or "See warnings" column in
the plugin list to notify the user about the error. So why not display
this information as soon as you hover over the icon or alert text in
such a column?

> Are you going to remove the topic editor too?
No. I'd leave the story editor alone, too. After all they are used for
editing things. But the plugin editor doesn't really edit anything.
Maybe it should be renamed to "Plugin Information Page" or something
similar instead.

> Making pretty admin screens benefits one or two people per geeklog
> installation and usually only during their first few weeks of
> installation: how often to admins go to the plugin screen really? User
> facing screens getting beautified helps every user at every geeklog
> installation.
Fair enough, but admin are those who decide whether to stick with a
cms...

> The plugin load order fix is as simple as adding a pi_order field to
> the plugin table. Stealing the up/down arrow interface from the blocks
> admin screen and changing the spot where the plugins are initially
> loaded so that it uses the new order field when it loads the plugin
> list. The request is at least as old as Geeklog 1.3.x. And the old bug
> tracker had a patch lost in the above crash. If you can get it into
> core, more power to you.
Anyway I get the point and so I will do this first.

Rouslan