[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Professional CSS theme

Dan Stoner danstoner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:51:16 EST 2011

Am I correct that the current Professional theme (as seen on
geeklog.net site) uses a fluid layout (fixed width for the blocks, but
"fluid with a minimum width" for the center content)?

And the new theme would change this to a "fixed" width overall?

Do you know how this will look for people running a two column layout
rather than three?

So I was about to spout my personal angst against sites that are
locked to narrow widths and prevent me from using all the screen real
estate on my hard-earned 1920x1200 monitor... but then I looked at the
web sites of the "big three" CMSes:

All are "Fixed Width" at 960px (drupal actually uses 940px for some
content nodes).

Note: The reported widths are from the project web sites, which may or
may not match the default theme from a fresh install of each project.
I got the widths by inspecting the site with the Firefox Web Developer
extension.

See:
http://wordpress.org/news:
http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla.html
http://drupal.org/about

So as much as I have a personal preference for fluid layouts, it seems
that 960 fixed width would be a good choice for the default theme.

Some references:

http://sixrevisions.com/web_design/a-guide-on-layout-types-in-web-design/
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1324265

Cheers!